Thursday 12 April 2012

What does freeride mean to me? #commence rambling#

So the topic of the moment is "What does freeride mean to you" courtesy of the Lush crew. See here-> http://blog.lushlongboards.com/2012/04/12/freeride/ for evidence that skateboarding is diverse and the boards you can partake in it on are more awesome than ever. Thats the same board in a massive standup slide, massive bowl air, and massive mugging of a corner.

So thats a pretty bloody good definition of "freeride".

Now for my musings.

So, I used to be a massive goon with my skating. I used to be competitive. I used to get annoyed about not progressing "fast enough". It would wind me up when I didnt do "good enough".

But it's ok to change your perspective on something and its never too late to do so. If something comes along to give you a more informed opinion then you should embrace it.

I dont know exactly when I stopped being a goon and started pursuing fun instead of progress. But I have focused on having a laugh and progressing my skating has came along like a bonus byproduct of that. Being in it for the right reasons seems to bring good things along.

When Im on a skateboard and im hooning down a hill there is no way I can go wrong. Every second im doing what I love. I might crash and get a bit messed up but im skateboarding! I am living instead of just being. Its a distraction from all the shit in life and it makes you realise how much that shit shouldnt get you down. Look! Im an uncoordinated nutter on a plank of wood at 30+ grinning like a child and finishing the run laughing like one. Im no perfect sponsorship package. I dont skate neat, I dont skate tidy, I dont skate well and it doesnt matter. I'll take what im doing over trying to fit in to skating like "everyone else".

And THAT is freeriding. Doing what you want, where you want, on whatever you want and saying- This is how I have fun with my skating. This is how I win the freeride.

Dont get mad, dont get even, have a laugh on a skateboard- good things happen.

Will

No comments:

Post a Comment