Wednesday 4 April 2012

Time to piss everyone off. Unfortunately.

Crash and Burn

Signup for Crash and Burn is OPEN and riders are signing up from Brazil, Europe and everywhere in between. Its going to be very good indeed. I'll be signing up to do the freeride day like last year, and will be hanging around on race day to shove a camera in peoples faces and generally get in the way. Im not racing because I dont like the IGSA format. Its fun for some but its not for me.

Switzer Sponsor change

Patrick Switzer has decided to move to Rayne from Fullbag. Cue legions of online "fans" taking to the internet and facebook to debate such a monumental issue. "OMG HE ARE BACKSTABBBURRR" for example. Ok well maybe not quite like that but thats what I hear when im reading such bollocks. Along with a really stressed nerd voice. Patrick Switzer, P-Swiss, whatever is clearly a brilliant downhill skater. But who he rides for this season is not important when you consider eventually the sun is going to implode and screw the earth right up. So dont go and burn your Fullbag, dont run out and buy a Rayne, take your keyboard warrior hat off and GO AND DO SOME SKATEBOARDING.

The Mark Short Interview.

Oh christ. Even typing this I can see myself opening up a massive can of shit. So im just going to paste a few things here and then write what I think.

(about the Yuppie tour) How was the reception by the UK longboard community? Excellent, people turned out but as always want something for nothing and baulked at the £8 entry fee! Why do riders expect they can pay a few pounds and then get to go home with free boards, wheels and other swag?

-------------
Many people are not going to know who the Yuppies are. A little sad but true. People are going to be sceptical about an £8 entry fee on what they see as just a big session.
-------------

Even when they know you spent your own money to get 2 of the best skateboarders ever down from afar?
I don’t think they even consider it, apart from a few stand outs.

-------------
I think i'll just whack in a slow sigh right here.
-------------
What’s the slide scene like in the UK? See my response for the Europe question.

What is the European sliding scene like? Notbadbut suffers from a false sense of skill level. Nobody travels or puts themselves on the line at international contests but profess their own excellence. I know and study every slider out there and wish they could wake up and really stretch themselves, rather than false boasting and being so perochial. (google-"Having a limited or narrow outlook or scope")

------------
I dont want to bullet point what im going to write here because thats quite tragic but it would be easier if I did. So excuse the bullet points but....

"Nobody travels or puts themselves on the line at international contests but profess their own excellence".

In my opinion, attending official events is irrelevant. If you go to them or not, how you skate is how you skate. I respect a skaters skill on a board regardless of whether they want to do anything "official". And "profess their own excellence". Well, I think there are always going to be people hyping themselves like mad. These people are known as "morons" or "mugs". And they are a tiny minority.

"I know and study every slider out there "

Wow. Thats all im gonna say.

"and wish they could wake up and really stretch themselves, rather than false boasting and being so perochial"

So I googled perochial-"Having a limited or narrow outlook or scope". I think people are going to skate however they want at the end of the day. As long as they are having fun, and in it for the right reasons, wahey. Some get stoked from pushing their skills. Others get stoked from just having a laugh. Neither is wrong and its all opinion and outlook.
------------
Because of the nature of tech sliding, is it harder to organise? Sure it takes a great deal of effort and time to be a good slider and is not for the everyman. In Brazil they have been at it for decades and are fanatically organised with a board of control, divisions with points needed to progress up the ranks before you can even compete at the higher levels.

------------
"Sure it takes a great deal of effort and time to be a good slider and is not for the everyman"

Ok, so I think sliding is for the everyman. As in, anybody can do it and anybody can take it anywhere. Its skateboarding, and that I think is the idea.

"In Brazil they have been at it for decades and are fanatically organised with a board of control, divisions with points needed to progress up the ranks before you can even compete at the higher levels."

Boards of control, divisions, ranks? That doesnt sound like the free and awesome skateboarding that I like to do. That sounds like IGSA seriousness at an unhealthy level-In my opinion.
------------


Are there any Euro slide comps? No, just local jams or should that be shams?

-------------
I have never been to a session as long as i've been skating that I would describe as a sham. I'll be interested to see if I ever do. I have no idea what could be so wrong with a session in order for it to be refered to as a "sham".
-------------

What needs to be done to see having more people in Europe having fun going sideways on hard wheels?
Once people have gained a little experience and can think for themselves rather than following the current dogma, they will find that hard wheels are the only way to progress.
What’s the current dogma?
Big, soft wheels only,with endless speed checks and 180s

-----------
This links in to something i've been thinking about recently. Skaters who are passionate about slalom say that is the only way to truly progress your skill. Mark is passionate about tech sliding. And therefore writes-"hard wheels are the only way to progress".

I disagree with all of this. I think that time spent on any kind of skateboard doing anything can improve your skill. And at the end of the day, raise your hand whoever skates just to improve your skill? Does how good you are matter when you're having fun? Not to me. Im fairly shit, I have no style, I look like an awkward spider falling down the stairs but I have a laugh. Therefore I win.
-----------


Now i'd better add that Mark Short is a superb skater and an inspiration to me in my own skating. His videos are sick as hell and his skill on a board is insane. However I disagreed with some aspects of this interview. Hence this blog post. Feel free to disagree with my disagreement. Feel free to disagree with those disagreeing with my disagreement! Feel free to dis- oh I cant be arsed but you get the idea.

The interview itself- http://www.allaroundskate.com/featured-rider-mark-short/
Will

2 comments:

  1. The force is strong with this one... Win the freeride will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On it ;)

    Wobbles and carnage await

    ReplyDelete