Tuesday 9 October 2012

The Skeptics and the pub shaped Rabbit Hole

 



Yeah, I went to visit The Skeptics. I only saw one truly impressive beard. But the evening was great. Weirdly enough whilst you could easily tell who the Skeptics were, they are strangely like us. If you met one you might not even realise until you reached a conclusion based on an assumption based on a preconceived mindset. At that point you'd better have an escape route planned or a copy of What Doctors Dont Tell You to distract them but still, meeting them can result in enlightenment as well as death by knowledge.

If you think critically about it, I am typing this, therefore I didn't (quite) die. Although for quantifying the state of death I imagine their agents will be on the way.

So, some things.

I don't call myself an atheist.

Not because I disagree with it, but because it doesn't operate in a realm in which I think. I just don't need a banner to stand under in terms of belief. I dont follow any religion, I do think about the universe.

Sometimes you won't agree.

I noticed some people go into a debate expecting to change the other persons mindset and reach some kind of amazing agreement. I think once you get to a certain point and you don't "agree to disagree", you end up just making noise at each other. Also if you are not ready to have your own thoughts challenged, why should somebody let you challenge theirs? Not wanting to "lose" is wrong. Having your mind changed a bit is a win in the same way as changing somebody elses mind a bit, because one or both of you take something from it. Even if it doesn't immediately dawn on you.


Agree with everything, some, or none of what I have written here.

These brains are made for thinking, and thats just what they'll do...

Will

No comments:

Post a Comment